GANGTOK TRAVEL GUIDE
Gangtok is the capital city of Indian state Sikkim. Situated at an altitude of 5500 feet ,it is a beautiful and well organised city where you can get all modern facilities likes hopping mall, big departmental stores, movie theater, restaurants, coffee shops and many more. Here I am sharing 2 days and 3 night tour plan for short term vacation trip.
Gangtok Tour Plan
Gangtok city tour start with site seeing. Hire a local cab for 10 points site seeing. The charge will be INR 3000 to 3500 for a day. The price is variable depend on car size. The main spots to visit are:
- Rumtek Monastery: Rumtek Monastery is a gompa located near Gangtok. Currently, it is the largest monastery inSikkim. It is home to the community of monks and here they perform the rituals and practices of the Karma Kagyu lineage.
- MG Marg: The heart of the town is MG Marg. It is the main street of Gangtok and is a great place to hang around. The street is India’s first litter and spit free zone. No vehicle is allowed in this street. Its a shopping zone at Gangtok in Sikkim.
Every year,in the month of December Gangtok food and culture festival is held here.
- Banjhakri Falls: It is one of the most beautiful places in Gangtok. The park surrounding the falls area is well maintained. Overall, It is a nice place for relax.
- Seven Sister Water Falls: It is another beautiful waterfalls near Gangtok where you can enjoy nature.
- Gangtok Ropeway : Take a ride of Gangtok Ropeway to get a bird’s eye view of the city.
- Ganesh Tok : It is a temple of Lord Ganesha located 6km from Gangtok town. Visit here to wish Lord Ganesha and enjoy the enchanting views of the environment from the viewing lounge with glass panel.
- Tashi View Point : It is 8 Km faraway from Gangtok town and offers a stunning view of Mount Kanchenjunga snowpeaks on a clear day.
- Hanuman Tok : The famous Hanuman temple is popular for itswonderful serene ambience and a viewing areathat offers spectacular view of Kanchenjunga range.
- Nmgyal Institute of Tibetan Technology : It is the one of the main Tibetan Institutesof the world. You can see various rare Tibetanand Sanskrit manuscript here. The place is known for beautiful Thanka paintings.
- Enchey Monastery : This is another Monastery near Gangtok.
Day 2 Tour plan
On day 2 of your Gangtok trip go for Nathula Pass, Tsomgo Lake and Baba Harbhajan Singh Memorial Temple tour.
- You have to submit 2 copy of passport size photograph. A photocopy of your voter Id card to the authority in order to get a permit for Nathula Pass. You can submit those documents to your hotel or travel agent and they will get the permit for you.
- Tsomgo is a beautiful glacial lake 38 Km away from Gangtok. It is located at an altitude of 12,400 feet. Nathula Pass is situate at the Indo China Border. It is 18 Km away from Tsomgo Lake.
- Baba Harbhajan Singh Memorial Temple on your way back to Gangtok. From Gangtok Local Cars will charge INR 800-1200 per person for this tour.
Day 3 Tour plan
Back from Gangtok to NJP Station or Bagdogra Airport.
Where to Stay
There are many hotels available in Gangtok. Room charges vary from hospitality. you will get budged hotels Rs 1600 to Rs 2500. Delux hotel in Gangtok Rs. 3500 to 6000 (Approx) .
Weather in Gangtok
- The best time to visit Gangtok is mid September to mid of May. This time Gangtok temperature is going to -5 degree to 18 degree. During this time may be you will heavy see snow fall in Gangtok.
- Off-Season is end of May to Mid of September.
How to Reach
- By train reach New Jalpaiguri (NJP) station of West Bengal. There are several trains available from all major cities of the country to NJP.
- By air, reach Bagdogra airport first.
- From NJP the distance of Gangtok is 125Km and from Bagdogra, the distance is 124 Km. It will take 3 to 4 hours to reach Gangtok from Bagdogra or NJP by car. The rate of a car is between2500 and 4000 rupees, counting on the number of seats available.
- You can avail a share cab travel by Sikkim National Transport. The fare is INR 200-300per person.
- SNT organized bus services available to reach Gangtok from NJP. The rate is INR 90 per person.
- Chopper service is available from Bagdogra to Gangtok. Charge is INR 3500 per person one way.