Rangaroon | A new offbeat destination near Darjeeling
Rangaroon is a relatively new tourist destination. Situated at a distance of 16Kms from Darjeeling, this place offers an abundance of scenic beauty. This little village lies at the back of the East Himalayan hotspot, Darjeeling. You might have noticed it at the extreme right amongst the hills at the back of the Mall. The word “Rangaroon”, comes from “Rai Gurung”, which is a Nepali caste. It is formed through a Lepcha language & means “turning of the river”. Interestingly, the river Rungdong takes a turn in this valley. This hamlet situated at the foothills of the renowned Tiger Hills.
How To Reach Rangaroon
It’s a short drive from Siliguri to Jorebungalow. From Jorebungalow take a turn to reach the 3rd Mile. There is a route from here to Rangaroon. En route Rangaroon you’ll be immersed in the beauty of the hills.
Where To Stay
Various homestays are there in this area. Humro Homestay Rangaroon is a good option and another one is the Rangaroon homestay.
Places to visit in Rangaroon
In Rangaroon you can have the same touring options as Darjeeling. Yet, you’ll be able to enjoy the tranquil environment and serenity. There’s plenty to do and see in this new tourist spot.
• Visit an 18th-century old tea factory. You will find it in close proximity to the tea garden here. Take a stroll through the tea garden in the morning and take home with you the famous Darjeeling tea.
•Reach Mata Singha temple by taking a short hike uphill. It is a significant place of worship here. Baisakhi Purnima, is full of devotees from surrounding villages.
•An old bungalow dating back to 1860-1870 remains an attraction here for the tourists. It was built by a german man named Frederick Von Forstmann. You’ll find fascinating colonial architecture, old paintings, and antique furniture here.
•Peshok Viewpoint is only 15kms from here. Here you can see the confluence of the sacred rivers Teesta and Rangeet. It is locally known as Triveni.
Things To Do
•Visit the river bed, just 4Kms downhill. Trekking is a popular activity in this area. For the adventurous soul, it is an ideal choice.
•Another popular activity here is bird watching. There is a wide variety of Himalayan birds found here. Birds like;
can be spotted here.
•Last but not least, watch nature at its best during winters and monsoon. The tea gardens are different shades of green during the rainy season. In winter, you’ll have the best views of the mountain ranges.
Places nearby Rangaroon that you can visit:-
- Sittong:- It is about 17Kms from here. Sitong is a delightful place for the hill-lovers. You can take a day trip here and visit places like Dilaram, Mungpoo, Latpanchar, and Kurseong. The Mahananda wildlife sanctuary also is located within a 20Kms radius from Sitong.
- Labdah:- Labdah is another tiny village in Rangli- Rangliot block. It belongs to the Jalpaiguri division and is 15Kms towards the South from Darjeeling District headquarters. You can also go to Lamahatta from here.
- Rimbi Village:- This is a small hamlet situated at an altitude of 7887 feet. It consists of only 18 houses. There are around 90 villagers here. You can trek to Rimbi Village for a majestic view of Mt. Kanchenjunga. Enjoy lush green forests during your stay.
Tinchuley, Takdah, and Lamahatta are a few other popular places you can visit from here.
- Njp to Rangaroon:- 65Kms
- Darjeeling to Rangaroon:- 16kms
- Rangaroon to Tiger Hills:- 2.2Kms
- Jorebungalow to Rangaroon:- 2.2Kms
- Ghoom to Rangaroon:- 3.9Kms
- Chatakpur to Rangaroon:- 5.9Kms
- Sitong to Rangaroon:- 17.7Kms
This new tourism addition is home to beautiful nature. Rangaroon is a place for those wanting to get away from the daily hustle-bustle of city life.
Written by: Riddhi Bhattacharya (Travelofina travelstories).