Daman and Diu Travel Guide
Places to visit in Daman and Diu: Daman and Diu together are among the 8 Union Territories in India. It is situated in West India. The Daman Ganga River flows through Daman’s coastal town. Daman is the capital of this place. Diu consists of an island off the southern coast of Gujarat’s Kathiawar Peninsula. It is 40 miles (64 km) southeast of Veraval.
How To Reach
• By Air- Flights are available daily. You can reach Daman from Mumbai (170 km) and Vadodara (300 km). The local airport is in Nani Daman. The fastest way from Kolkata is to take a flight to Surat Airport. You can avail of a cab here to Daman. It will be approx. 6h ride.
• By Train- The nearest railway station is 12 km from Daman. The cheapest way from Kolkata is to take a train to Bardoli. You can take a cab from here. It will take about 2 days to reach Daman from there.
Best places to visit in Daman and Diu:
1. Naida Caves- Naida Caves are a must-visit in Diu. It is a man-made cave. This place is truly an underrated tourist spot. It has red walls and enticing stairs. The best time to visit the caves is during the morning. You can see the play of sunlight during this time.
2. Diu Fort- This fort dates back to 1535. The Portugal rulers made this fort. It is situated beside the vast majestic Arabian Sea. Therefore you must visit this place to get a panoramic view of the Arabian Sea. There is also a lighthouse adjacent to the fort adding to its charm.
3. Gomtimala Beach- This is one of the most peaceful beaches in India. Watch the sunset from here. Collect seashells. Gomtimala Beach is the perfect getaway from the daily chatter of urban life.
4. Ghoghla Beach- This is Diu’s largest beach. You can spot dolphins here. It is perfect for water sports also. Ghoghla Beach is a popular tourist attraction. You can relax on the golden sand here. If you are an adventure seeker this place is for you.
5. St. Paul’s Church- This church comprises of Baroque architecture. It was built in 1601 AD. It is dedicated to Our Lady Of Immaculate Conception. The Bom Jesus Basilica in Goa is similar to its structure.
6. Sea Shell Museum- This museum was established by Merchant navy Captain Devjibhai Vira Fulbaria. It consists of a collection of thousands of seashells. It also has literature on the variety of seashells & the possibility of their existence. Once you visit this museum you will get a magnifying glass to view the fascinating shells.
Forts in Daman and Diu:
•Panikota Fort- It is the former Diu Jail. It is a 16th-century Portuguese ruin also known as Fortim-Do-Mar.
•Moti Daman Fort- This is another fascinating fort, built alongside a lighthouse which attracted merchant sailors ages ago. This is a historic destination.
•St Jerome Fort- It is a 17th-century Portuguese Fort. This fort has a built-in cemetery. It also has a huge ground inside where the locals enjoy playing.
Other places to visit in Daman and Diu:
1. INS Khukri Memorial- This is a memorial site of an Indian Naval ship. It sank during the Indo-Pak war of 1971. INS Khukri Memorial is a must-visit in Diu.
2. Diu museum, seashell museum
3. Zampa getaway
4. Sunset point
5. Churches- There are many churches in Daman and Diu. These are some of the well-known ones:
•St. Paul’s church, the church of St Francis Assisi, the chapel of our lady rosary.
6. The beaches: Daman and Diu are known for its tranquil beaches. Here is a list of beaches you must visit.
Where To Stay
Choose a hotel near the beach. You can stay at Gold Beach Resort, Azzaro Resort & Spa or The Deltin for a perfectly luxurious stay. You can either stay near Jampore Beach or Devka Beach in Daman. It is also suitable to stay near Diu Fort for an enjoyable stay.
Offbeat Places to visit in Daman and Diu:
While there are many places to visit in this union territory, these are the hidden gems-
1. Hoka trees
2. Dominican Monastery
3. Dinosaur Park
4. Jain Temple
5. Jetty Garden Daman
6. Mirasol Water Park
7. Kadaiya Lake Garden
Weather in Daman and Diu :
This place has a subtropical climate. It is hotter in Diu. The avg temperature in Daman and Diu remains 26.8°C.
10 things to Do in Daman and Diu:
1. Walk the lanes.
2. Rent a bicycle & explore.
3. Water Sports.
4. Taste the delicacies: Sri Ram Vijay Refreshment offers a wide variety of food. It ranges from pizzas and sandwiches to a sweet tooth of icecreams.
5. Shop from the famous market lanes.
6. Take a trip to Silvassa.
7. Watch the sunset & sunrise from the beach.
8. Photographer’s heaven.
9. Admire the architecture.
Daman and Diu is a place worth visiting. If you like dancing with the waves or just counting them as they crash on the golden shore, this will be a memorable trip. It is called the coastal heaven for its tranquility. The beaches here are cleaner than Mumbai or Goa. Hence you must remember to keep the environment here clean and not litter.
Written By: Riddhi Bhattacharya (Travelofina Travel Stories).