Places to visit in Andaman and Nicobar Islands| 20 Best Places
Places to visit in Andaman, the Indian archipelago is captured in this blog. Many people search for places to relax. Many look for adventure sports and thrills. Well, Andaman has both. So let’s dive in.
This place is absolutely exquisite and breathtaking. The Andamans are roughly 300 islands. They are known for their white sand & picturesque beaches. Popular fascinations of tourists here are mangroves, tropical rainforests & coral reefs. The best time to visit Andaman is October and May. The weather is comfortable. During this time it is perfect for water sports as well. The landscape around the coast is beyond mesmerizing.
There are many facts about this place that folks commonly don’t know. Here’s the history of the renowned island. Andaman is presumed to be derived from Hanuman. Hanuman was known to the Malays as Handuman. These islands were located on the trade routes from India to East Asia. The Andaman and Nicobar island groups are in pages of history from ancient decades. 7th-century Chinese Buddhist monk I-ching, the Arab travelers of the 9th century, and Marco Polo (c. 1254–1324) are among those who mentioned Andaman.
How to reach Andaman
- The quickest way to reach is by flight. You can reach Port Blair directly from Kolkata/Delhi this way.
- However, from Kolkata, you can also take a ship. The voyage takes about 3-4 days.
Where to stay
Recommended staying on the island for 5 days. There are about 700 hotels. You can choose depending on your budget.
6 Most Popular Places to Visit in Andaman
1. Havelock Island- It is a part of Ritchie’s archipelago. It is known for its dive sights, crescent-shaped & varieties of beaches. On the island’s east side, rocky sections mark long, tree-lined Vijaynagar Beach. The island’s forested interior is home to birdlife such as white-headed mynas and woodpeckers.
2. Radhanagar Beach- Regarded as the best beach in India. It has turquoise water and a pristine stretch of sand. The time magazine awarded it the 7th best beach in the world.
3. Cellular Jail- Kala Pani in Hindi means “black waters”. This is also the name of this jail. This is a fascinating spot for tourists. Cellular Jail was used by the British to exile political prisoners. Many notable independence activists have been imprisoned here.
4. Coral Island- As the name suggests, this is a coral island. It is famous for scuba diving and other water activities.
5. Viper Island- It belongs to the South Andaman district. This island lies 4km west of Port Blair.
6. Neil Island- Formerly known as Shaheed Dweep. It is famous for its unexploited coral reefs and biodiversity. This island is a hotspot for tourism.
Other Places to Visit in Andaman
1. Baratang Island-
This island is a day’s trip destination from Port Blair. This is the best place for you if chemical processes fascinate you. Past the checkpost in Baratang 2 wheelers are not allowed.
2. Little Andaman-This is the fourth largest Andaman Island.
3. Barren Island- It is the only active volcano in South Asia.
4. Wandoor Beach- It is one of the major attractions of Port Blair. You can take a boat from here to reach Jolly Buoy also.
5. Elephant Beach- This is the ideal place for water sports as well as leisure. Thrilling boat rides and adventures
6. Long Island- This island is 80Km north from Port Blair.
7. Corbyn’s Cove Beach- This is a tranquil beach. It is situated 8Km away from the heart of the city. This place is serene. It is an unique sightseeing spot.
8. Rutland Island- It is an idyllic island. It is a paradise for Thalassophyles, commonly called sea-lovers.
9. Parrot Island-This is an uninhabited island. It is simply a bird watcher’s paradise. Parrot Island is home to a mud volcano. You can drive through Jarawa tribal areas. You might get a chance of spotting endangered members of the Jarawa tribe.
10. Mangrove Creeks- A hidden gem. You can do boat safaris here.
11. Red Skin Island Beach- It is a small island. Red Skin Island is famous for its fishes and corals.
12. Kalapathar Island- One of the most beautiful beaches. It has white silky sand and black rocks.
13. Limestone Caves- Deep within the mangroves these caves are nestled. They are situated in the lush rainforest. The Limestone caves in Andaman are highly recommended among the places to visit in Andaman.
14. Laxmanpur Beach- The beauty of nature here is unparalleled. It is a must-visit.
Things To Do in Andaman
1. Scuba Diving
3. Rajiv Gandhi Water Sports Complex
5. Water Sports
7. Visit Rubber Plantations
The climate of Andaman is tropical. It has humid weather. Winter is almost non-existent. Medium-heavy rainfall occurs during monsoon. The rainy season lasts 180 days a year.
- 3 nights, 4 days- ₹10,000(Approx)
- Cost if hotels start at ₹845.
Tourists are banned from many areas on these islands. It is because of diseases they might bring. These might affect the endangered indigenous tribes here.
To conclude, these places to visit in Andaman should be on your itinerary. This place is a heaven disguised in blue. You will come across crystal clear blue waters as well as a variety of flora and fauna here. It is a must-visit for you if you’re a nature and fun lover.
Written by Riddhi Bhattacharya, Travelofina Travel stories.