NORTH SIKKIM| All You Need To Know About|2020|
NORTH SIKKIM TRAVEL GUIDE
North Sikkim, a district of Indian State Sikkim and it’s seventh least populous district in India. A large part of North Sikkim is restricted for foreign travelers because these area are sensitive border with the People’s Republic of China.
The areas of North Sikkim gained immense popularity for its scenic beauty and stunning views of majestic snowcapped mountains. The most popular tourist destinations of North Sikkim are Lachen, Gurudongmar lake, Lachung and Yumthang Valley. Here I am sharing 3 night and 4 days north sikkim tour plan.
How to get Permit for North Sikkim
Remember, you can visit Lachen and Gurudongmar Lake only through tour operators registered under Sikkim Tourism Department. You will need an inner line permit issued by Sikkim Tourism and Civil Aviation Department to visit Gurudongmar lake because it is a protected area. You should collect the permit from Gangtok a minimum of the day before you begin for Lachen.
- To get the permit you have to submit 2 copies of Passport sized photograph.
- A copy of any of your Photo Id proofs like Voter ID card or driving license or passport etc.
- The permit charged for the form is Rs 100-Rs 200 and Rs 20 is charged for the fee of permit issuing authority.
Journey to Lachen
On day 1, early in the morning travel to Lachen by car. Lachen is a small town in North Sikkim. Lachen is 129 km from the capital city Gangtok. It will take almost 6 hours to reach Lachen from Gangtok by car.
The road to Lachen from Gangtok is rough and has patches in some areas. Due to frequent landslides BRO is maintenance the road continuously.
The word Lachen means is Big Pass. The town is famous for its beautiful grasslands, snow capped mountain peaks and pine forests. Upon arriving Lachen visit Lachen Monastery. Lachen Gompa or Lachen Monastery is one of the most popular monasteries of Sikkim.
- It will take almost 6 hours to reach Lachen from Gangtok by car.
- Cab fare for the day is around Rs 3000 to 5000 depending on the number of seats.
Journey to Gurudongmar Lake North Sikkim
In early morning You start your journey from Lachen to Gurudongmar Lake. Generally,this tour starts at 3.30 am in the morning because you have to get back to Lachen before lunch.The weather condition of Gurudongmar Lake deteriorates as the day progresses. It is better to start for Lachen from Gurudongmar Lake by before 8 Am. The distance of Gurudongmar Lake from Lachen is 67 Km.
It will take approximately 4 hours to reach Gurudongmar Lake from Lachen. On your way first stop at Thangu valley and have your breakfast. It altitude is 13000 ft from sea level. It will take almost 2 hours to reach Thangu from Lachen. After breakfast, start for Gurudongmar Lake. The distance is 40 km and it will take 2 hours to reach Gurudongmar Lake from Thangu.
The Gurudongmar Lake has been named after Guru Padmasambhava who came here on his way back from Tibet. The Lake is located at an altitude of 17,800ft. It covers an area of 290 acres and it is the largest lake in Sikkim. The lake is surrounded by snow covered mountains. It is considered holy and devotees collect sacred water from here. There is a small temple of Guru Padmasambhava next to the lake. In the afternoon go to Lachung from Lachen.
Lachung is a beautiful valley. Its height of 8610 ft from sea level. Lachung is 135 km away from Lachen and it will take around 6 hoursto reach Lachung from Lachen.
On 3rd day, go for local sightseeing in North Sikkim Lachung. The main places to visit are: Yumthang Valley is a picturesque valley in North Sikkim famous for its forests and hot springs.
Lachung Monastery is the beautiful Monastery set in a stunning backdrop is a must see in your Lachung Trip. Zero Point 15000 feet above from the sea level enjoy the stunning view of snow capped Himalayan peaks here.
On Day 4
In evening return back to Gangtok and stay at nigh. Next morning return back from Gangtok to Bagdogra or NJP for departure.
Where to stay
- There are many hotels available in Gangtok, Lachen and Lachung. Room charges vary from Rs 1600 to Rs 2500. Beyond Lachen, there’s no accommodation available for night-stay as that’s a protected area.
- You have to return from those areas on the same day.The total tour package will cost between Rs 8000 to Rs 9000 for 2 people, which exclude a trip to Zero point.
- A trip to Zero Point will cost Rs 2000 to Rs 3000 extra. The Package will include your hotel charges,car fare and food cost from Gangtok to Gangtok.
How to Reach
- Fast reach New Jalpaiguri Station. By air reach Bagdogra airport.From there take a car or Bus to succeed in the capital city of Sikkim Gangtok.
- The distance of Gangtok from NJP is 125 Km and from Bagdogra is 124 Km. It will take 3-4 hours to succeed in Gangtok from NJP or Bagdogra.
- The taxi fare is between Rs 2500 to Rs 4000 depending on the amount of seats available. You might be good choice to share a cab . The rate is Rs 300 per person. The bus fare is Rs 100 per person.
- After reaching Gangtok stay there overnight.
If you like my North Sikkim article Kindly comment in bellow and share this article.