LEPCHAJAGAT DARJEELING 2020| Abode of Nature
I am going to describe the blog on Lepchajagat. In the lap of a lush green oak, pine, rhododendron and species unknown is a small suburb Lepchajagat. A small yet richly decorated by nature itself, Lepchajagat, is the replica of Paradise which enchants travellers like us. Lepcha are an old tribe of Northeast Bengal and Lepchajagat is their land. A glimpse of bliss which is just 19 km away from the Queen of Hills Darjeeling is Lepchajagat. This place is known for its serenity and silence. A place where Kanchenjunga is the epitome of beauty and subtle sunset is the mark of peace. This small hamlet bows his head down to welcome us to a tour of the adobe of nature. This place is taken over by West Bengal Forest Development Corporation. Now this place is a reserved forest area.
How to reach Lepchajagat
Nearest airport: The nearest airport is Bagdogra. This place is 85 km from Lepchajagat. Bagdogra airport connected with the major cities of the country.
Nearest Railway Station: The New Jalpaiguri Station (NJP) is the nearest railway station and connected with the major cities. It is 95km away from Lepchajagat. The easiest route to travel to Lepchajagat is to follow the Mirik– Sukiapohri route.
Places to Stay in Lepchajagat?
This place is taken over by WBFDC and hence the best place to stay here is the guesthouse of WBFDC. This guest house is created in the lap of the hills and all the rooms of this guesthouse give a beautiful sight of Kanchenjunga the nature around. This guesthouse has six rooms: there are rooms namely- Magnolia Suite, Michelia Suite, Suite-1, Suite-2 and a dormitory to support a family accommodation.
This Bunglow was made by British in 1800 and later the WBFDC renovate into guest house. The rooms ranges from 1500/- to 2000/-. There are some homestays developed in recent years for the tourist to stay. All the homestays are good with cordial behaviour of host.
Foods are simple and tasty and are pocket-friendly.
Best time to visit Lepchajagat :
Being a hilly area this place experiences a vast range of temperature. High altitude results in the change of temperature rapidly. It is a year round destination to visit. An easy escape from the hum drums of city life. It is at an altitude of 6956ft. The months of October-April are still the desired time of the year to visit as these months show the change of nature and beauty. Avoid visiting in the monsoon as rain can start at any time of the time.
- January- March: The temperature of this place varies from 2° C to 9°C. It drastically falls to 0°C in February and experiences a moderate temperature till March.
- April- May: During this time the temperature ranges between 6°C-17°C during the day. It is a very favourable time to visit this place.
- May- June: This time the temperature starts changing. It experiences a drift in temperature falls to 11°C-17°C.
- June –September: It is a Monsoon time of Latpanchar. During this time temperature range between 13°C- 19°C. It experiences a moderate temperature with 90% saturation during this time. This time of the year witnesses a foggy and misty morning and a drop in temperature towards the night.
- October to November: This is the time when the place experiences the most pleasing temperature ranging from18°C – 6°C. It a great time to see the snow covered peaks.
- December to February: This time the temperature varies from 2.5°C- 10°C. This time of the year helps to relish the cold jitters of winter.
The weather of this place changes from day to night. In the day time we mainly experiences clear sky, cool breeze and bright daylight while at night the Celsius drops with cold winds.
Best Places to visit Lepchajagat:
- Jorpokhri : (5 km away from Lepchajagat) a place amidst the serenity of forest and hills. One can found the lake and beautiful salamanders of hills.
- Ghum Monastery: (10 km away from Lepchajagat) an old monastery which enchants us with the rich essence of Buddhism, culture, practises and spirituality.
- Pashupati Market: (15 km away from Lepchajagat) a market place situated at the Indo- Nepal border. A perfect place for shopaholics as products are at cheap rate but one need to aware of being cheated. Only Indians citizen with valid Identity proof allowed in this place.
- Mirik: (27km away from Lepchajagat) this place is famous for its lake and surrounded by forest in all sides. Boating, nursery, horse riding is the attractions of this place. It is one of the pristine places in this area. This place is an example where Nature bows down to Earth.
- Manebhanjan: It is 11 km away and 25 minutes duration from Lepchajagat by vehicle to reach. This place mark as the base camp for the trek from Sandakphu.
This adobe of beauty and nature Lepchajagat is a sure visit for those who are trying to get away from the hustle-bustle of the city. A perfect honeymoon spot for couples to enjoy nature and romance.
Written By: Arbi Chakraborty (Travelofina Travel Stories).