DOBAN VALLEY|2020|AN OFFBEAT DESTINATION IN SIKKIM
DOBAN VALLEY AN UNTOUCHED VILLAGE
Amid the hustle and bustle of your daily busy life, spending a day or two in the lap of nature would be a great treat for every person who is looking for comfort, serenity, and lush greenery all around. If you are a person who not only wants to explore the North Bengal Mountains but also wants to have a different experience all together then Doban Valley can be your perfect choice. The name Doban is derived from a Nepali term which means Do-two, Ban- to tie. Doban Valley is located in the Kalimpong subdivision where the rivers Rangpo and Reshi conflux. Doban Valley is an offbeat place in Sikkim which is not much explored yet. The place is gradually gaining popularity for its picturesque beauty in the lap of Mother Nature.
How to reach Doban Valley:-
Doban valley lies in the border area of East Sikkim and West Bengal. Since we were traveling from Kolkata, we took a train till NJP. One can also take a flight to Bagdogra. As we were on a budget we took a shared car from NJP to Rongpo. From Rongpo we took a shared cab till Rorathang Bridge which was just 1km away from our destination. We walked the distance through the forest and river. One can rent a car through Kannan Valley Home Stay for the same. To reach Doban Valley from NJP took us around 3 and a half hours.
Where to stay:-
The only stay option is the Kannan Valley homestay. The Homestay provides a package of Fooding and lodging as there is not much option around. They offered few single-room cottages made of concrete and wood and delicious local cuisine were served. The homestay is just on the banks of a river and is surrounded by high mountains and forests. The stay in the lap of nature gave me a feeling of being protected from the busy outer world.
Things to do in Doban Valley:-
- If you are a silent observer then you can definitely witness hundreds of birds belonging to different species.
- If bird watching does not interest you much then you can definitely try out fishing in the swiftly flowing river.
- You can enjoy a rafting ride or go for a trek.
- Night falls here fast so having an early dinner is much advisable.
- After a nice dinner, you will definitely have a pleasant sleep hearing the soft music of the river flowing outside your cottage.
- Wake up early the next day and witness the serenity of the morning mountains all along and enjoy a visit to the conflux of two rivers.
The expense of the trip:-
- Reaching NJP from Kolkata by Train took Rs 1400 each. The flight would cost approx. Rs 2500.
- NJP to Rongpo by share car Rs 300 per person.
- Rongpo to Rorathang bridge by share car Rs 60 per person.
- One can walk from Rorathang Bridge to the homestay or book a car for Rs 300.
- A private car directly from NJP to Doban Valley will cost around Rs.3500-4000.
- Per head cost at the homestay is Rs 1000 per night.
Written by: Nabomita Mukherjee (Travelofina Travel Stories).
If you like this information please comment and share. Your feedback is valuable for us.